Introducing Nicole Chui
We are thrilled to be welcoming a new artist to the Brilliant Artists roster, Nicole Chui, whose work is a little bit different from our current offering of illustration talent. Nicole’s disruptive freestyle hand embroidery is here to shake up your next brief!
Nicole’s embroidery brings raw emotion to the fore turning conventional, polite notions of the craft on their head and giving prominence to the underrepresented. Nicole has created vibrant work across fine art, fashion, sport and music.
Get to know the the artist behind the dynamic work in our Q&A.
1. Do you listen to music while you draw/paint/illustrate/
Yes, at the moment it is Britney Spears, but generally I love listening to tracks that makes me feel really hot & emotional.
2. Which other illustrators or artists do you most admire and why?
Suzy Chan, Melissa Kitty Jarram, Kelly Anna, and Tiny Studio.
3. What is the best thing about being an illustrator/creator? And the worst?
Best thing about being an artist is being able to pour out and execute your ideas to a project. Worst is that there’s never enough time to create all my ideas, I still have a massive list on my notes file!
4. How do you overcome a creative block?
By just making whatever I want without worrying about the result. I’m currently going through it right now.
5. What are 3 of your favourite films? Which one would you illustrate/embroider the poster for?
It’s hard to narrow them down to 3 but I’ll share 7: Dazed and Confused, She’s the man, In the mood for love, Charlie’s Angels (2000), Kill Bill, Gone Girl, God of Gamblers III: Back to Shanghai. I probably would create a poster for Charlie’s Angels to be honest!
6. If you could work on the book cover for one book, which would it be?
A true crime novel, or a book about revenge!
7. Dream studio location and set up?
I love being in the city, but, it would be such a dream to have a studio set up near the beach.
8. Best trip you have ever been on?
My latest trip to Toronto was really fun. I think that’s one of my most memorable trips so far.
9. What do you have to have in place before you start work?
A functioning charger, and a bottle of water.
10. If you could have any artwork in your home what would it be?
An original Melissa Kitty Jarram large scale painting.
Check out Nicole’s beautifully crafted portfolio here.